What is the cost of IVF treatment? Will it work for me? What is the IVF success rate in India? These are some of the common questions related to fertility treatments that strike a couple’s mind when they decide to undergo IVF treatment in India. It is evident from the research studies based on In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) or Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedures that fertility treatments have come to the rescue of childless and infertile couples. Because of the increasing IVF success rates in India, the demand for these treatments is also on a notable increase. As per the research studies, more than 8 million IVF babies are born every year, and around 2 million Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) are carried in India.The advancement in medical technology and fertility treatments has come a long way and is doing wonders in the lives of childless couples who have been trying to conceive for more than 12 months. Effective care and proper guidance is offered to patients planning to start their families.
The best IVF doctors at the fertility clinics in India educate their patients about the treatment, its process, IVF success rates and the cost of IVF treatments in India. One needs to understand that along with fertility medications and invasive or non-invasive IVF procedures, lifestyle factors are also responsible for increasing the IVF success rates in India. When it comes to IVF cost in India, there are various factors on which the cost of IVF treatment in India depends. In this blog, we will dive deep into what is IVF and how it is done. Also, we will get to know about how much IVF cost in India.
What is In Vitro Fertilization?
In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is one of the most popular infertility treatments, which comprises of different surgical procedures and fertility medications to allow successful fertilization to occur. The fertilized egg is then implanted into the uterus. The success of an IVF treatment is considered when the prepared embryos get attached to the endometrium lining.
What is the process of IVF treatment?
- Initial consultation: When you decide to go for a fertility treatment, during your initial consultation, the fertility experts discuss about your medical history and they will also guide you with the right infertility treatment for you.
- Ovarian stimulation and ovulation induction: The intending mother is offered some fertility medications by the IVF doctor. Usually, around 4 shots are offered to women and the process is continued for about a week or 10 days. At this stage, the infertility specialist monitors and analyses the growth and development of follicles.
- Egg retrieval: Egg retrieval is a procedure in IVF treatment in which follicles are extracted via a needle. To carry this procedure, the doctor or specialist offers some intravenous sedatives and pain relieving medicines to the patient to avoid any discomfort or pain during the retrieval procedure. The patient may experience some spotting and abdominal cramps after the procedure, which usually gets settled in a few days. Your doctor will inform you about the success of retrieval process right away.
- Fertilization: After a successful egg retrieval process, fertilization of healthy sperm and mature eggs is performed at a specialized IVF laboratory under the supreme guidance of the best IVF doctor.
- Embryo culture: An embryo culture procedure is a combination of fertility conditions, medical equipment, and specific nutrients that embryos need for growth and development.
- Embryo transfer into the maternal uterus: After embryo culture, the viable prepared embryos are transferred into the uterus with the help of a catheter in a specialized IVF laboratory. The IVF doctors transfer multiple embryos so that at least one embryo gets implanted in the uterine lining. Multiple births is a common phenomenon in IVF procedures because in some cases there are chances that more than one embryo gets implanted.
- Pregnancy Test: Once the embryo transfer procedure has been performed, almost two weeks wait is recommended to the woman before the pregnancy test. 10 to 12 days after embryo transfer process, pregnancy test and progesterone levels are tested to confirm the pregnancy.
Why IVF is needed?
Some of the common conditions for IVF are:
- Uterine fibroids
- Tubal sterilization
- Unexplained infertility
- Repeated miscarriage
- Genetic disorders
- Low sperm count
- Immunologic infertility
How expensive is IVF?
IVF cost varies from one location to another and from one IVF centre to another. Apart from location and doctors’ expertise, the number of IVF cycles opted by a patient also affects the IVF price. The woman who successfully achieves conception in 2 or 3 IVF cycles, the cost of IVF treatment for her would be less as compared to someone who needs 5 IVF cycles to achieve conception. IVF treatment in Mumbai and other parts of India is comparatively much cost-effective as compared to other places owing to various factors.
How much does IVF cost
The average cost of IVF ranges between Rs. 1.30 lakhs to Rs. 3 lakhs. Some of the common factors affecting the IVF cost in India are:
- Number of IVF cycles required
- Cost of donor eggs or sperm
- Cost involved in embryos freezing
- Uniqueness of medical and fertility condition
- Tests and ultrasound scans involved in IVF treatment
- Cost of ICSI treatment