“Infertility may seem to be a struggle today, but always remember it will not be this way always”. Hold on to HOPE!!
Most men aren’t aware of the fact that they might be suffering from a problem like low sperm count until they are trying for a baby. Certainly, no one thinks about sperm count often and if you are someone who has been trying to get your partner pregnant but there is no success, then you need to emphasize on the number and quality of your swimmers.
It requires single sperm for egg fertilization, but the journey reaching there can be difficult. Chances get higher with more sperm. It is important to get the tests done, so that if there is an issue then one can take the timely low sperm count treatment.
Observing the signs and causes is important for every male to identify and if you don’t have the comprehension, then you are at the right place.
In this write-up, you will get a better understanding of the symptoms and causes that are related to the problem of low sperm count in men.
What is a low sperm count?
The health condition of low sperm count or oligospermia happens when a male’s sperm doesn’t have a good number of sperm. A man with less than 15 million sperm per millimeter is considered to have the problem of low sperm count. However, it doesn’t mean that the male cannot impregnate a female, it’s just that it may take time or can be difficult.
Low sperm count symptoms
There is no other evident sign of low sperm count when your partner is unable to conceive even after trying for more than a year. However, there are other signs that one mustn’t overlook:
- Inherited chromosomal abnormality is the sign of low sperm count in men. As per the study, 10-15% of fertility in men occurs due to genetics.
- Hormonal imbalance is another sign that not only depicts the problem of low sperm count but also causes male infertility.
- Dilated testicular vein or varicoceles is also among other signs of low sperm count. It leads to the poor growth of testicles, low sperm-producing, and other issues causing male infertility.
- One of the major signs is issues with sexual functionalities. If an individual is experiencing problems such as low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- When a man is experiencing issues such as pain, swelling, and lumps in the testicle area, it is recommended to get in touch with the doctor.
- Other signs are reduced facial and body hormones; however, it doesn’t happen with every person.
Causes of low sperm count in men
There are different causes of low sperm count in men such as health issues or medical treatments. Let’s find out some of the causes:
- Smoking is one of the causes of low sperm count in men. The number of cigarettes you smoke every day has a close relationship with the sperm count. It’s not only ruining your health but also reducing your sperm count every day.
- Alcohol is another cause of low sperm count. If you drink excessively now and then, you must know that alcohol causes a huge reduction in sperm and affects testosterone.
- Varicocele is a condition that causes low sperm count. It causes the problem of vein swelling that leads to draining of the testicle. It is associated with abnormal testicular temperature regulation.
- Tumors can also lead to affecting the male reproductive system directly through the glands releasing hormones associated with the reproduction like a pituitary gland or unknown causes. Radiations, surgery, or chemotherapy can cause the problem of low sperm count. Emotional stress is among one of the most significant causes of low sperm count. It not only affects mentally but also emotionally as well.
- Weight can impact fertility massively and in varied ways. It includes influencing the sperm and causing hormonal changes reducing the male fertility or low sperm count.
- Chromosome defects are also among the causes of low sperm count in men. When there is a Klinefelter’s syndrome, it leads to the abnormal growth of the male reproductive system. Hence, it is crucial to get in touch with a fertility specialist for low sperm count treatment.
Does masturbation reduce sperm count?
If you are looking for the answer that if masturbation reduces sperm count, then the answer is no. It doesn’t have any effect on fertility. According to data, it is found that semen quality returns to the normal when there is no ejaculation.
Low sperm count treatment
The low sperm count treatment entirely depends on the causes of the problem. You can enhance your sperm count by reducing the use of medication or behaviors that are leading to low levels of sperm.
Here is the treatment for low sperm count treatment:
- There is a surgery available for treating the problems like blocked sperm ducts or varicocele.
- Hormonal supplements treatment can help with treating the problems like hormonal supplements.
- To treat the infections causing low sperm count issues, your doctor may recommend antibiotics.
- Counseling will be recommended to you for dealing with the problems such as premature ejaculation or erectile dysfunction.
Tips to increase sperm count
Some other ways or tips can assist you with enhancing the sperm count. Some of them are:
- Ensure indulging yourself in healthy habits such as eating fruits and green vegetables.
- Make sure to restrict poor habits like smoking and alcohol. ‘
- Include regular exercise in your routine or any health activity in your daily lifestyle.
- You should not consume medications without a doctor’s prescription for any health problem.
- Ensure maintaining a healthy weight.
- Include wearing loose and comfortable boxers in your daily schedule.
Lastly, when the problem is untreatable your doctor will recommend fertility treatment like IVF, ICSI, or donor programme according to the cause of the problem.
Click here to know: How To Increase Sperm Count? Tips And More Information
It becomes difficult for couples to get pregnant with a low sperm count. It may require a lot more time than you anticipate, and you must ensure to visit the doctor for treatment of improving sperm quality.
If you have been trying to achieve conception without success, then make an appointment with a fertility specialist. It would help you in getting a clear picture if you require surgery or treatments like IVF or IUI.
When the low sperm count problem occurs due to an underlying health problem, then the doctor will assist you with the treatment. We believe that the write-up will assist you with understanding everything related to the low sperm count problem.