Which Doctor Should You Consult For Male Infertility?

Which Doctor Should You Pick For Male Infertility

There is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to deciding which doctor to consult for male infertility. However, it is essential to remember that infertility is a medical condition that can affect both men and women.

While it is believed that infertility is more commonly associated with women, infertility in men is also a real and serious problem. If you are a man facing infertility, you may be wondering which doctor to consult for help.

As consulting the right doctor specializing in the treatment of fertility issues can provide you with the most accurate information about your specific case.

So, here is some information to help you decide which type of doctor to see for male infertility.

Why do you need male fertility evaluation?

The World Health Organization (WHO) defines ‘infertility’ as a disorder of the reproductive system that impairs organs and hormones responsible for the primary function of reproduction.

Male infertility, just like female infertility, is also a common issue among men of reproductive age. It refers to a male’s inability to cause pregnancy in a female partner. Infertility in men accounts for about 40-50% of all infertile couples.

Common causes of male infertility include low sperm count, reproductive tract blockages, and abnormal sperm function.

If you and your partner struggle to conceive, it’s essential to consult with a fertility specialist to determine the cause of your infertility. Male infertility can have many causes, including hormonal imbalances, genetic factors, health conditions, and lifestyle choices.

Your fertility specialist will conduct a thorough fertility evaluation, including the following:

  • Semen analysis
  • Hormone test
  • Urine analysis
  • Genetic testing
  • Transrectal ultrasound
male infertility

This will help them to identify any potential underlying causes of your infertility.

However, when it comes to seeking treatment for male infertility, there are different doctors that you can consult depending on the cause of your condition.

Doctors Who Specialize in Male Fertility


For male infertility, it’s best to start with a urologist. Urologists are medical doctors who specialize in disorders of the urinary tract and male reproductive organs. They will likely perform a physical examination as well as order tests to investigate the cause of your infertility.

Urologists can provide comprehensive evaluations and create personalized treatment plans based on the underlying causes of your infertility.

Reproductive Endocrinologists

If your case of male infertility is due to a low sperm count or poor sperm quality, you may want to consult with a urologist specializing in fertility.

But on the other hand, if your case is due to a blockage in the ducts that transport sperm from the testicles, you may need to see a reproductive endocrinologist.

As a fertility specialist, a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) is focused on helping patients with both male and female fertility issues. After additional training in infertility, this gynecologist can provide treatments that can improve the chances of conception. In some cases, REs may also be referred to as simply fertility specialists.

Reproductive Endocrinologists can also help with fertility preservation for cancer patients, working with an oncologist to manage Cryopreservation before the start of fertility-threatening cancer treatments.


Andrologists are also urologists but have completed additional training in male fertility. This allows them to evaluate and treat male fertility issues effectively, along with a reproductive endocrinologist.

Andrologists may look further to find the cause for low or absent sperm counts and, with treatment, potentially improve the situation. Additionally, they can perform a testicular biopsy for use in testicular sperm extraction (TESE).

Reproductive Immunologists

Reproductive immunologists have extensive knowledge of immunology & reproductive medicines. The specialist can be consulted in cases of unexplained infertility, repetitive miscarriage, and In vitro fertilization (IVF) failures.

Reproductive immunologists may also help in cases where one is diagnosed with a chronic condition like endometriosis or an autoimmune disease.

Dr. Nidhi Sehrawet is a renowned fertility specialist in Delhi with more than two decades of experience. As a specialist in reproductive medicine, she has provided fertility treatments to numerous patients – from IUI and IVF to ICSI. She tailors each couple’s treatment plan to their specific needs, utilizing the full range of options available.

OB/GYN (Obstetrician and Gynecologist)

A certified gynecologist or OB/GYN (Obstetrician and Gynecologist) has specialized training in reproductive health, making them uniquely qualified to address fertility issues.

Though OB/GYN specializes in female reproductive health, in some cases, they might be the first fertility specialist you’ll meet for any male fertility issues.

Also, while seeking the OB/GYN for fertility advice it is also essential to choose the best fertility doctor such as Dr. Puja Kumari at Crysta IVF center in Patna. As a highly experienced obstetrician and gynecologist, Dr. Swati has treated countless patients with different fertility treatment options for both males and females.

Which Male Fertility Doctor You Should Consult?

You may want to consult with a urologist, reproductive endocrinologist, or integrative medicine specialist. Each type of doctor has different expertise and can offer other treatment options. You can get the best possible care for your fertility problem by consulting with more than one type of doctor.

While urologists and reproductive endocrinologists are two of the most common types of doctors that treat male infertility. They both have experience diagnosing and treating different conditions that cause fertility problems.

But, if you’re unsure which type of doctor to consult, your best bet is to talk to your primary care physician or another healthcare provider who can help you figure out what specialist you need to see.

A Word From Crysta IVF

Many factors can contribute to male infertility, which can be challenging to identify and treat. If you suspect that you may be dealing with infertility, it is essential to consult with a medical professional who specializes in this area.

In order to ensure the best possible outcome, it is crucial to find an experienced doctor who can provide comprehensive care and treatment. The team at Crysta IVF fertility clinic in India has extensive experience helping men overcome infertility and achieve their dreams of fatherhood.

Get a consultation now, and we will help you find the right doctor for your medical needs.

Ritish Sharma

Ritish Sharma is a professional healthcare writer who has a good understanding of medical research and trends. He has expertise in clearly communicating complex medical information in an easy-to-understand manner. His writing helps people make informed decisions about their health and take control of their well-being.