Every woman once in a while dreams of becoming a mother and starting the beautiful journey of parenthood at the earliest. Still, the bitter truth is that not everyone gets the opportunity to conceive naturally due to poor egg quality. In women, their age is vital in determining egg quality.
It is evident that when trying to conceive, the egg quality can create many obstacles and snatch away even a single chance for a couple to conceive.
If you are experiencing challenges in conceiving without getting any positive results, talk to our fertility expert at the Crysta IVF, Best IVF Centre in Delhi
The poor egg quality not only delays the likelihood of getting pregnant but also makes it next to impossible to conceive and have a full-term pregnancy naturally. A phrase that makes it more accurate to assume, “My biological clock is ticking,” indicates that the more you age, you have poor egg quality and face complications when conceiving naturally. Thus, to make you understand the importance of egg quality, this article carries all the essential information about the causes of poor egg quality and how it can be treated. First, let us acknowledge are poor quality of eggs and their symptoms.
What do you understand by Bad quality eggs?
Bad egg quality is also termed “diminished ovarian reserve,” which leads to female infertility. The main cause of Bad egg quality is age, but it is not the only one; there can be other reasons too, including but not limited to pelvic radiation, ovarian surgery, any reproductive illness, genetic abnormalities, chemotherapy, excess consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and some unknown factors.
With age, the risk increases for ovulation with poor-quality eggs, along with enhanced chances of miscarriage. Poor-quality eggs are the most significant obstruction when fertilized, and they create complications at the time of implantation and development. However, commonly, it is believed that older women tend to have poorer quality eggs, but in some cases, it is also seen that the same can happen with younger women; they can also have poor quality eggs and face infertility at such a young age. Thus, it is essential to pay attention to the changes occurring in your body and notice the symptoms that degrade the quality of your eggs.
Poor egg quality symptoms
- Complexity in getting pregnant
- Late or no periods at all
- Shorter menstrual cycle than usual
- Heavy menstrual flow
Though the complications can vary from woman to woman, it is understandable that not all symptoms can arise in one woman. For a better lookout for your health, you should consult with your doctor and know the causes of poor egg quality.
Causes of poor egg quality
Aging naturally lowers the egg’s quality. However, there are other factors too that lower the egg quality and lead to infertility in women, such as:
- Endometriosis: a condition where tissue similar to the uterine lining grows outside of it near other reproductive parts, including the ovaries, affecting egg quality.
- Radiation therapy: High doses of radiation therapy might destroy egg quality and can even lead to early menopause.
- Chemotherapy: Research says that chemotherapy can affect the ovaries, leading them to stop releasing eggs and estrogen.
- Pelvic infection: The infection can damage the fallopian tube and obstruct the ability of eggs to travel through tubes to reach sperm to fertilize.
- Autoimmune disorders: An autoimmune attack on the ovaries can reduce your ovarian reserve and degrade the egg’s quality.
- Genetic abnormalities: Genetic abnormalities also affect the expected quality of sperm.
- Smoking: Research says that women who smoke have poorer-quality eggs than those who don’t smoke at all.
- Prior ovarian surgery: If you have had ovarian surgery, there are higher chances that your egg quality might be low.
- Tubal diseases: Tubal diseases are known as one of the common causes that not only result in poor egg quality but also cause infertility in women.
The above listed are some common causes that affect the quality of eggs and might lead to permanent infertility in women.
Many obstacles can affect a woman’s will to get pregnant and fight infertility. Still, you do not have to worry as long as technology is advancing and healthcare professionals are there to guide you. Going for a fertility test is recommended if you have been trying to conceive for more than a year and have not had any success, as an early diagnosis can help you and your doctor better plan for an effective treatment that can bring out the best results. So, if you are under 35, you should consult a doctor if you have been trying to get pregnant for a year. If you are over 35, consult a doctor after six months to comprehend the complications with your reproductive parts and look for the available treatment options to fight infertility.
Bad egg quality treatment options to overcome infertility
The prescribed ways to look out for bad egg quality so that infertility can be overcome are
Medications: In the initial stage, your doctor might prescribe certain medications that can help to improve egg quality so that the fertilization process can occur.
In-vitro fertilization: After examining the severity of your health, your doctor will consult one of the most popular forms of ART, in-vitro fertilization. In this treatment, a healthy egg will be selected to fertilize inside the modern laboratory and develop an embryo to be successfully implanted into the uterus.
Donor eggs: In some cases, a woman does not have any healthy eggs to start the IVF treatment. In this case, the donor egg program will be used. However, while selecting the donor, it is necessary to examine the donor’s medical history and blood group to expect better results.
The above-listed treatments can only be successful if you reach out to the best IVF center that works with cutting-edge technology, modern equipment, and experienced fertility experts. However, if you have not found a fertility center that will not only give you a personalized approach but also lower the financial burden from your shoulders, do not lose hope, as Crysta IVF is recognized as one of the best IVF centers that carry all the parameters that a couple looks for in a center to help them plan for a baby.
How to improve egg quality
Here are some tips to improve egg quality:
- Excessive tea or coffee is not good for egg health and may also impact fertility and egg quality.
- Stress may disturb egg production; therefore, practice stress-reducing techniques like meditation and yoga.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking to maintain healthy eggs.
- Eat a lot of fruits and green vegetables. Take a balanced and nutritious diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Obesity may lead to poor egg quality and reduce fertility. Try to maintain a healthy body weight through regular exercise and diet.
- Add exercise to your daily routine; this may help to improve your blood flow to the ovaries and improve egg quality.
Food to improve egg quality
Here are some foods that can help you improve the egg quality-
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Take whole grains like brown rice, and oats
- Add more fibre in your diet
- Avoid preservatives and additives
- Eat dairy products
- You can eat dry fruits and nuts
- Avoid trans fats
- Limit alcohol, caffeine and chocolates
- Avoid processed food
How do you know if your eggs are healthy?
Well, there is no such test to know egg quality. Here are some facts based on which you can understand your health status.
- Regular menstrual cycles mean the hormones are balanced and the eggs are healthy.
- Age is a crucial factor in egg health. Younger women have healthy eggs. The egg quality declines with age.
- AMH is a hormone that reflects ovarian reserve. A higher AMH level may suggest a larger pool of eggs.
- Regular ovulatory symptoms, like changes in cervical mucus and basal body temperature, indicate normal and healthy eggs.
- If you had successful pregnancies without complications, it may suggest healthy eggs.
Reach out to the best IVF centre in Delhi at the earliest and begin your parenthood journey with Crysta IVF, full of hope.
Updated on 29-11-2023
What is egg donation and how does it work? – in Hindi