Maintaining egg quality is one of the body’s most important yet ignored factors. It is heavily influenced by one’s lifestyle and dietary factors. The quality, quantity, and availability of the female eggs determine the formation of the embryo and the occurrence of a healthy pregnancy.
It’s normal for female egg quality to deteriorate as they age, especially when they are older than 35. Their ovarian reserve is reduced, making it difficult for pregnancy. However, women aged 35 or above don’t need low egg quality.
In many cases, younger women also suffer from low quality, quantity, and availability of eggs. Many women are not even aware that they are suffering from this problem unless they start planning for pregnancy.
Let’s say a woman has decided she wants a child, and upon trying to conceive, they meet with repetitive failure; that’s the time when they approach IVF centers for fertility tests. If the report shows that the reason for failed pregnancy is low egg quality, many women prefer to learn how to increase egg quality naturally. In this blog, you’ll learn tips and foods to improve female egg quality.
What’s the importance of good egg quality?
Simply put, good egg quality leads to healthy and strong embryos. The better the egg quality, the higher the chances of embryo implantation in the uterus. Your desire to have a successful pregnancy highly depends on the health of your eggs. The mark of a healthy egg is the presence of certain chromosomes in the eggs that help fertilization with the sperm. The factors that are measured to determine the quality of the egg are:
- Hormone Levels: Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Test is done to determine the quality of a woman’s reserved eggs. Women who are suffering from PCOS have poor-quality eggs in high quantities.
- Age: As women age, their egg quality diminishes. This can lead to infertility or miscarriage. Generally, the quality of the eggs starts to go down after the age of 35.
- Antral Follicle Count: These fluid-filled sacs release one mature egg monthly for fertilization. A higher follicle count means better ovarian reserve and a lower count means low ovarian reserve. Doctors use antral follicle count to evaluate a woman’s fertility.
- Follicle-stimulating hormones and estrogen levels: FSH and estradiol play a crucial role in assessing fertility. Elevated FSH levels mean reduced fertility. Estradiol is a form of estrogen that helps with healthy egg maturation, influencing fertility and conception. Doctors monitor these hormones to diagnose reproductive health and, based on the results, suggest fertility treatment.
Also read: Success Rate Of IVF With Donor Eggs In India
How to improve egg quality for IVF?
Being unable to achieve natural pregnancy due to low egg quality is a major setback for family planning. You may decide to go for IVF as an alternative, but even then, having a high egg quality will make your treatment easier. Below are written some tips on how to improve egg quality for IVF.
Diet and nutrition are crucial for healthy egg quality and good ovarian reserve. Focus on wholesome and balanced food that can provide optimum nutrition for keeping your reproductive system healthy. Such diets will help keep your hormones stable and improve circulation. As per nutritional experts, following a rainbow diet is the way to go. A rainbow diet means a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables. This diet can provide essential nutrients to boost fertility, such as – iron, fiber, carbohydrates, monounsaturated fats (good fats), vegetable protein, high-fat dairy, vitamins, and folic acid. But heed one precaution: avoid any kind of red meat, processed food, fast food, and energy drinks.
Foods to improve female egg quality:
- Nuts and dry fruits (Great source of proteins, vitamins, and nutrients)
- Green leafy vegetables (Rich source of folic acid and vitamin C)
- Garlic (Selenium-rich superfood)
- Dairy products (Rich in calcium, good fats, and vitamin D)
- Berries (Natural antioxidants & folate)
- Beans (Lean protein & iron)
- Pumpkin seeds (Rich source of zinc)
- Bananas (Packed with vitamin B6)
- Eggs (Omega 3)
- Quinoa (Rich source of fiber)
- Avocados (Monounsaturated fat)
- Sesame seeds (Rich in zinc)
- Macca roots (Contain 31 different minerals and 60 phytonutrients)
- Cinnamon (Combats insulin resistance)
- Sweet potatoes (Rich in beta-carotene)
These listicles are ways to improve egg quality with food. Consuming a healthy amount of these foods will help achieve a successful pregnancy with IVF.
Focus on boosting blood flow:
Proper blood flow must reach the ovaries to keep your ovarian health optimum. Optimum blood flow keeps the eggs healthy. To ensure this,
It is important to stay hydrated. If you’re planning on opting for IVF treatment, preparation is crucial. Drink a minimum of 6–8 liters of fluid (water, fruit juices, etc.).
Exercising daily will open up your blood vessels, keep the blood thickness normal, and allow optimum blood flow.
Having regular massage and yoga sessions also aids in internal healing and blood flow.
Women who intend to become pregnant or have IVF treatment should abstain from smoking because it accelerates the ovaries’ loss of eggs. Furthermore, the dangerous substances may alter the DNA in the egg cells, rendering them unsuitable for conception.
Keep stress to a minimum and your weight in check:
Prolactin and cortisol are stress hormones that ultimately prevent ovulation and the release of eggs. So, to manage your stress, practice yoga, exercise, meditation, and other activities that release stress and increase endorphin levels. Also obesity is another major cause of hormonal imbalance. Therefore, controlling your weight and maintaining a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is highly advised.
Is it Possible to Improve Egg Quality After 35?
Apart from regular lifestyle changes like quality sleep, quitting smoking, stress management, and exercise, these are other consumable tips that can help improve egg quality after 35.
- Fish Oil (Rich in Omega-3): Omega-3, rich in fish oil, is a great source for preserving fertility and making high-quality eggs in women. In certain cases, people find it difficult to eat fish due to personal preferences; Omega-3 supplements can do the work for them. Taking a daily dose of fish oil supplements will help ensure you get enough omega-3. Research shows that Omega-3 supplements can improve egg quality for women in their late 30s and 40s.
- Co-Enzyme Q10 (CoQ10): Mitochondria are your cells’ energy sacs, and CoQ10 is the primary antioxidant and energy source that keeps them healthy. As women age, the levels of CoQ10 decrease in all body cells. Keeping it at an optimum level is crucial for women over 35 or 40 trying to get pregnant.
- Additional nutrients and vitamins:
- Vitamin E: Rich in anti-oxidant characteristics, it increases the blood supply to the follicles and reduces cellular stress.
- Zinc: Zinc is necessary for DNA synthesis, producing higher-quality eggs and a few B vitamins.
- Folate: Folate is essential for the quality, implantation, maturation, and fertilization of eggs.
How long does it take to improve egg quality?
It’s normal to feel impatient as a woman aspiring for motherhood to figure out how to produce better-quality eggs. But it’s critical to acknowledge that outcomes take time. If you follow the above-given tips rigorously and keep patience, the quality of the eggs will naturally improve over two to four months.
To summarize, by doing the things listed above, women can enhance the quality of their eggs. Remember the foods you need to eat, the lifestyle you need to lead, and most importantly, take your time improving the quality of your eggs when doing it naturally. Contact the best IVF clinic in Noida, Crysta IVF, for more personalized information
Read more blogs: