As the name states, it has to do something with male sperm count. In simpler terms, Oligospermia meaning refers to a low sperm count in men. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), Oligospermia count refers to a sperm count of less than 15 million per millilitre of semen. While it does not necessarily mean infertility, it majorly affects the chances of a couple’s ability to conceive.
According to the WHO factsheet in 2021, low sperm count and male infertility are now a global problem. On a global level, this affects 15% of couples. The factsheet also stated that lifestyle factors contribute to up to 30% of male infertility.
What Causes Oligospermia?
While lifestyle problems like smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and recreational drug use are major contributors to this problem, it’s not the only factor causing it. Here are some of the causes that trigger oligospermia:
- Hormonal Imbalances: Hormones play a crucial role in your body’s function. When men reach 40, and their sex drive falls for any reason, many times, doctors suggest doing a hormone test to understand if everything is normal or not. An imbalance in hormones such as testosterone, FSD (Follicle-Stimulating Hormone), and LH (Luteinizing Hormone) can affect sperm count.
- Varicocele: This happens when the veins in the scrotum become enlarged. It can lead to overheating of the testes and impair sperm production. The diagnosis of oligospermia is done by medical experts. Sometimes, they can also suggest an ultrasound to assess the severity of the problem.
- Infections: Oligospermia can also be caused by infections in the reproductive tract, such as epididymitis and prostatitis, which can damage sperm-producing cells.
- Genetic factors: In certain cases where men are suffering from a lack of Y Chromosome (azoospermia), extra X chromosome (XXY instead of XY), single gene mutation, or any kind of abnormalities in chromosomes, are a few genetic factors causing low oligospermia.
The difference between oligospermia and azoospermia is very clear. Oligospermia means reduced sperm count and not complete male infertility. Azoospermia means a complete absence of sperm cells.
What are Oligospermia Symptoms?
Even though low sperm count does not mean male infertility, it does come with its share of problems that affect couples. A few symptoms of Oligospermia have been mentioned below:
- Reproductive Organ Abnormalities: Some birth defects or developmental issues may affect sperm production and cause oligospermia.
- Change in semen: Men suffering from oligospermia may notice certain changes in the volume, consistency, and colour of their semen, or reduced volume of ejaculation.
- Difficulty in conceiving: Low sperm count or oligospermia may result in problems in conceiving naturally. For such couples, other methods like IVF can be better alternatives.
Cure for Oligospermia:
While there is no solid evidence on the cure for Oligospermia, there are other ways one can manage and live a healthy lifestyle with Oligospermia.
- Lifestyle Modifications: Adopting a healthy lifestyle like quitting smoking, limiting alcohol consumption, having a balanced diet, managing stress, and avoiding toxins or excessive heat around the genital area can positively impact sperm count.
- Medical Assistance: Focusing on the underlying cause, treatments such as hormone therapies, varicocele repairing of enlarged scrotum veins, medicines to treat any kind of infection, or Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) like intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF) are some of the ways one can tackle the problem of Oligospermia.
For the ones who are experiencing the challenges of conception due to oligospermia, it is important to consult an expert in the respective field. Lifestyle changes, appropriate diet, medications, or advanced fertility treatments can improve the chances of conception.
While many medical companies and organizations help men or couples with Oligospermia and conception, Crysta IVF is the leading IVF Clinic in Delhi that offers IVF and other treatments for couples. With its complete transparency, Crysta IVF helps couples find the best solution for their problems.
Crysta IVF’s team of medical experts and doctors take utmost care of their patients, guide them throughout the process, and stand with them for emotional and medical support.